Principal People have been exclusively retained by Octavia Housing, an innovative independent housing association, to search for a Head of Health & Safety.
Octavia Housing was founded by Octavia Hill, a pioneer of Social Housing. The organisation is steeped in history dating back to the 1860’s when, Octavia was a co-founder of the National Trust and the first clean air campaigner for London. Her aim was to “make lives noble, homes happy and family life good”, this radiates through the company ethos and values making Octavia purposeful and very value-driven for all employees.
In more recent years, Octavia Housing have been heavily invested in numerous schemes, developments and care, including Affordable Housing, Charity Shops, Care Homes and new Development. Octavia are a leading Social Housing Developer in London, with award winning specialists in developing energy efficient Housing within an urban context. Most notably being nominated the ‘Sustainable Housing Provider of the Year’ in 2017. Octavia provide around 5000 affordable homes, providing 650 adults with support services and 20 charity shops. In addition to this, the organisation has ambitious plans to build a further 200 homes per year.
With ambitious growth plans, along with their unrivalled approach to deliver sustainable housing at rent and affordable rent services, to the people who make the City of London work, this is an exceptional opportunity to work for a forward-thinking organisation fuelled by its values.
This newly created role will report into the Director of Asset Management and will be the leading role in implementing transformational change to the organisations approach to Health and Safety. Working within a team boasting a 96% staff satisfaction rate, this is an unrivalled opportunity to work within an exceptional value driven organisation.
Key responsibilities of this equally strategic and operational role include:
- Leading the development and implementation of the Health & Safety strategy to promote not only safe workplace’s but safe communities and homes
- Creating strategic plans for the future of Octavia’s Health and Safety procedures and policies in relation to their company values
- Developing and implementing processes to achieve continuous improvement of Health and Safety development
- Developing, training and leading a team of safety professionals including a Compliance Manager and a Fire, Health and Safety Surveyor
- Working alongside the Asset Management Director and cross functionally with a wide variety of key stakeholders including the board and CEO
- Rigorously reviewing the performance of Health and Safety throughout Octavia’s portfolio
The successful Head of Health and Safety will possess:
- A track record of delivering improved Health and Safety performance at senior management level, within a housing or property related background
- A NEBOSH Diploma (or equivalent qualification and/or experience working at a similar level)
- Experience of managing a range of stakeholder relationships, establishing shared goals in pursuing tangible delivery of agreed objectives
- A strong sense of social purpose with a strong sense of values to help maintain the vision and values of Octavia Hill and the Trust to help deliver a pioneering approach to supporting the community
- The ability to inspire, motivate and direct a diverse and professional workforce to achieve a high quality, value driven team
With direct links to major stakeholders and the ability to make an impact from day one, this is a unique position and an incredible career opportunity. If you are interested in discussing this further, please apply today.
If you would like to discuss further, please contact our retained Recruitment Partners Principal People and speak to Aleks Smolski 01252 954 953 or Reece Rowden 01252 954 954 for an informal and confidential discussion.